Monday, March 3, 2014

It just keeps snowing!

Snow days, when they are occasional and not too disruptive, are very enjoyable. I never thought to hear myself say this, but this is the 15th storm of the season, and it has gotten old. We teachers are scrambling to catch up and keep our students motivated, and students are getting frustrated with the compressed schedule to close out the cycle. Of course the PSSA season is upon us soon, always a disruption to the real education/learning of our students.

On the plus side, the gift of this time has allowed me to really explore educational technology and it's applications. A framework for my cycle classes next year is coalescing into a valid plan. I cannot wait to collaborate with the current teacher of these classes! Using #20 time as the bones for the class, and utilizing blogs, google docs & apps like Evernote.

Working backwards, I am thinking that students can place their concluding product online where their classmates can view them -- not taking class time as the class is only a 6 week cycle. Peers would then peer review using a google form. Or, I can have students present in class and use back channel to let peers comment. I'm sending out a student technology survey this week which will inform about student access to technology and whether back channel is even an option.

As always, so much to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment